Thursday, December 10, 2009

bar scene, 1:21 am, winter

I am the evolution, the first to be notified. This is a first person experience, let me be the first to let you be the second to know it.

         "Hi," he said to the damp face before him. It's the girl he always knew when he saw her, but just couldn't place. Couldn't place her even where she stood now.
         "Do you want to get outta here?" he asked, hands over face. He couldn't bear to look at her. He couldn't bear to hear the weezer song blasting from the speakers.

Les held in a conversation that could have been. She hadn't helped, hadn't hurt, until she began again, and for the first time:
         "I owned you. I had you locked in active memory experience. Time held and I had you froze, you couldn't blink but your eyes were stone and your irises begged but I couldn't cut them free. And you were in me tight till I killed you and died myself." She took his silence as a blessing, and managed to finagle a beer from the bartender without paying for it.
        "Lend me a dollar; I have to leave a tip" she held her tiny hand open to Les but let her eyes wander. He fished.

I think I've already been right there.

       "Misty." He suddenly remembered where they met, in his room which is covered in sharp sticks for food. She was drunk now, and flirting with a random lamb. They sure do wander, don't they! And she remembered, too. As she was forgiving Les, forgetting him, and finding him true she felt herself change. Ferdinand was forever, the bet arranged. She knew who she'd be. Sitting on a two-person hammock, into the sunset sighing.
       "I want to thank you, quietly and just secret." She yells this at no one in particular but grabs Les by the cashmere scarf and pulls him out the door and into the cold streets. Les steps off, down towards the asphalt. A boy and girl, sitting for a second.
       "It isn't over," he, stumbling on the right thing to say. Manages a smile and she's gone, torn into a wind.

No comments: